Since 2008 we've delivered more than $14.6 million in dividends and grants for the benefit of regional communities
Looking after regional Australia
Southern Phone Company is one of the largest and most successful providers of fixed line, mobile and Internet communications services in regional Australia.
We were formed in 2002 after receiving $4.77 million in funding from the Australian Government’s Networking the Nation scheme. Our vision was to deliver more affordable telecommunications services to regional communities and to share our success with those communities. Under our Constitution, only Australian Local Government Councils can hold shares in Southern Phone Company Ltd. Our dividends are paid to our Local Government shareholders and used for the benefit of their local communities.
We now serve a national customer base, from Cape York to Zeehan, from Bega to Broome. We provide more than 130 jobs at our Moruya (NSW) head office and we’ve returned millions of dollars to regional communities since we declared our first dividend in 2009.
Why is Southern Phone needed?
The cost of telecommunications in regional Australia has long been a source of concern and discussion.
The lack of competition in regional areas has meant prices and other aspects of service delivery have not met the expectations of the community to the extent realised in metropolitan areas.
The Local Councils behind the development of Southern Phone realised that while generally good services are available, it would only be the introduction of competition in many smaller centres that would deliver lower pricing and other service improvements.
Southern Phone operates to maximise benefits to the community. It reflects the values, ethics and style of the people living in the Regional Australia and presents those to our customers.
Southern Phone only pursues profits to the extent they are required for company sustainability, service expansion and a return to shareholding Councils. Otherwise prices are maintained at the lowest possible level to ensure maximum community benefit.
Who owns Southern Phone?
Southern Phone Company Ltd is an unlisted public company and only Local Councils can be shareholders. This means all profits are returned to the community through the Local Councils. No individuals may own shares in the Company.View shareholders
Board of Directors
- Bill Hilzinger, Chairman - Previously Chairman of Integral Energy and the Superannuation Services Corporation
- David Joss - Managing Director, Southern Phone Company
- Holly Kramer - Non-Executive Director, AMP Limited, Woolworths Limited, Australia Post, GO Foundation and 2XU Holdings Pty Ltd
- Rod Oxley PSM - Previously Chairman, ahm; Councillor, IBC Regional Advisory Council; Director, Rotary Club of Wollongong
- Andrew Riley - Managing Director, EW Systems Pty Ltd, Director of APIR Systems Limited
- Cathy Aston – Non-Executive Director, IMB Bank board; non-executive Director FINSIA and the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra
- Catherine West - Non-Executive Director, Nine Entertainment Company; Vice President, Sydney Breast Cancer Foundation at Chris O'Brien Lifehouse
For more information call us on 13 14 64